Being involved in an accident can be a very stressful event. To help you protect both yourself and your interests, we have provided some basic hints:
- Call the police immediately, and an ambulance if necessary.
- Do not admit liability.
- Record details of the accident including date, time, location, a description of the accident, any injuries, and any charges laid.
- Record details concerning the other party and vehicle such as owner’s name and address, phone number, and vehicle year, make and model.
- It is very important to obtain the insurance information of the other driver. This includes the name of the insurance company and the policy number and the name of the broker or agent.
- Obtain a copy of the police report from the attending officer as this will have the accident report number for future reference.
These tips are general rules of thumb only, and may not fit all situations. For the definitive word, contact your insurance broker to discuss reporting your car accident to the insurance company.