Candles are a great way to make your house feel more inviting, or help create a spooky ambiance. But candles can also be a serious fire hazard. In addition to being a fire hazard when left unattended, some candles contain materials that present health hazards – especially for young children.
Read candle labels and avoid candles that contain lead. You can test this by removing wax from the tip of the wick and rubbing it on a piece of white paper. If it leaves a grey mark then the core is probably lead. When these wicks burn they produce lead vapours and dust.